Monday, 25 February 2008

Ironing, wishing, and a new team member


I enjoy ironing, alway have. Particularly as I have a certain penchant for starch, which means everything irons up to a wonderful crisp finish. And it's a leisurely job, or at least it is when I do it. I normally do my ironing over the weekend, it means I can listen to the sport on the wireless.

So this weekend was particularly good as there was the rugby on Saturday evening, and then the Carling cup final on the Sunday. All accompanied by that lovely smell that starch gives off when it's ironed. And both were later in the day, so I could get out beforehand; the weather here was very sunny although it was still quite sharp.

I have to admit that I have a hankering for a new iron. My Tefal is about twenty years old now, and on that basis alone I could just about justify replacing it. But not quite. Because it has been well cared for, and still works perfectly. I'm afraid that like most men I am very seduced by buttons and dials though, and although it was as well equipped as they came when it was new, it pales by comparison with today's high-tech products. So I've got my eye on this iron, which looks like a stealth bomber, and probably has more controls than that plane does. If only I'd make use of all those features. It's rare for me to use the steam function on the Tefal, and I don't think I've ever used the 'shot of steam' function. The Philips is considerably heavier though, and I would get the benefit of that at least.

I'm well aware that we shouldn't buy consumer goods we don't really need, and so I haven't. But I've put it on my Amazon wishlist, just in case someone wants to treat me. I doubt if they will though; I'm not sure I know anyone who'd spend that much on a present, not for me anyway.

If you've scrolled down the page, you may have noticed that I now have a 'team' who will be writing for this blog. Kathleen has sent me a couple of long and interesting emails since I started, so I've signed her up and hope that she'll start posting soon. So welcome! And if you're reading this and think you'd like to join the team too, just email me. Maybe I'll have to change that header...

No comments: